Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Everyone's A Critic

Okay, fellow J198 students, say it with me now: "I swear I'll stick to my schedule, I swear I'll stick to my schedule, I swear I'll stick to my schedule..."

It's hard to consistently blog for this class, especially after being thrown off with the whole spring break thing a few weeks ago. But I promised myself I wouldn't falter this week, which is why I'm blogging close to midnight, fighting off sleep and/or that appealing Curb Your Enthusiasm rerun on HBO. I've got a job at hand, dammit! Blog I must!

On Monday we had an incredibly useful session in which we watched each other's latest TV videos and offered up comments and criticisms -- with love, of course. We critiqued everything from narration to direction to lighting choices, and I think we found that almost all of it was beneficial. I was nervous to see what everyone had to say about our video, which I sort of became married to after completing it. 







I was relieved when mostly all the comments about the video were positive, but the ones that weren't were still constructive. Among the better criticisms we got:


  • Framing of the shots could have been better, particularly with the heads of a couple interviewees being cut off. Must be more steady when operating the camera.
  • The lighting wasn't great. Find a better location for interviews, perhaps with more natural light.
  • Voiceover audio wasn't great either. Try out the lapel mic, play around with recording spaces.


Admittedly, I hadn't even noticed that the cut-off heads were so prominent until I watched the video on the class's big screen in horror. Now it's glaring. But that's one thing we'll always remember to avoid from here on out - all made possible because of other people's criticisms. What a great concept!


No comments:

Post a Comment