Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Need for Seed


Long time no blog, eh? Good to be back to the grind, though I certainly wouldn't mind still being in the Bahamas for Spring Break.


Yesterday we had a special J198 class, which found Jeremy bringing back some of his newly acquired tools and tricks from the South by Southwest Interactive festival in Austin. I'm still jealous. He attended many panels on new journalism and social media innovations, and showed us some of the coolest things he found, including Augmented Reality.


But I was immediately hooked when Jeremy started talking about AOL's Seed. The Web site in a nutshell:
SEED assigns, buys and distributes work for all of AOL's properties: more than 80 of the Web's most highly trafficked and respected websites, including the world's leading sites for music, style, TV, tech and more. [link]
Consider me not only impressed by what SEED is doing, but a little obsessed. This is the perfect opportunity for freelancers, especially college journalists who are looking to make a couple extra bucks a week writing. I've been looking all over SEED for potential stories I can write, particularly in the Arts and Entertainment Section. I could make $10 writing about a song in a television commercial, or $25 for a short piece on the Latin Grammys. This is an amazing concept. 


I graduate in May. I have no idea what I'm doing after college yet. If it takes me longer than expected to get a job, freelancing via SEED could be the perfect buffer for me to make some money while getting reputable clips and continuing to build my resume. That sounds pretty great to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment