Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Audio Overlays: I'm Diggsin' It

For those of you keeping track at home, that's two awful pun post titles in a row! Can I go for the hat trick on Friday? Stay tuned.

Anyway, I just got back from our third lab, where we played around with audio overlays. Our objective was simple: Use the audio of someone talking and splice it up with a video of them doing something else. Last night I had rehearsal for wind ensemble (a wind ensemble for which I play the... drums for) so I figured I'd ask the director, David Diggs, if I could ask him a few questions and film him conducting. He gladly obliged, so I had fresh video to work with upon entering this afternoon's class.

It was really quite simple splicing and dicing the audio, so I decided to challenge myself a little bit and go further. Plus, I'm always trying to better acquaint myself with Windows Movie Maker, so I thought it would be good to play around once I got the gist of it. I experimented with cutting in and out of the video of Professor Diggs' actual interview (all while the clip's audio was playing) so it would look something like you see in a professional television interview. WMM only has so many editing capabilities, so I didn't fully achieve what I set out to do, but I think you'll get the picture. Also, I let the music run into the credits, which added a nice touch. Here's the video:



This week's only "headache" came with trying to get good lighting during filming, since I shot the interview in a relatively dark part of Zoellner and the practice room was rather dimly lit as well. It was pretty manageable, though, and I still think the end result looks okay given the circumstances. I can't wait to actually start learning proper shooting techniques so the videos will start looking, you know, good. I think we start on that road with next week's lab.

How did everyone else do today? Any problems or cool things you found? Can't wait to see your videos.

1 comment:

  1. I'm more impressed with the Van Damme reference. Is he even alive?

    One thing I want to take a peek at is it looks like some of your videos are rendering with the "skinny head" effect. I'm not sure if it's a video import issue, but I'm going to take a closer look. It might be a setting on the camera.

    I'm impressed though that you pushed yourself. You're right, having the music and scene stuff in the middle does make it feel more newsy. This video will be a good example I can show in class for how easy it is to do it.

    ReplyDelete